Day 211

    September 26, 2018

    Friday evening we met with the guys of BMWMOA of Nova Scotia for a nice diner and we discussed the plans for the weekend.

    Saturday started rainy and cloudy, so we started driving around noon, when the clouds were disappearing.  It became a fantastic afternoon; good company, sun on our face, less gusty winds than expected and the magnificent curvy road of the worldfamous Cabot trail.  We enjoyed the day which we ended all together in the Red Barn restaurant with a nice local beer and food.  Thank you all for the friendly welcome and company. 

    On advise of Alan, we went on Sunday to Louisbourg and visited the fortress.  Originally the fortress was built to protect French interests in the region.  It was built by the French and taken 3 times by the British.  In the end it were the British who destroyed and burned the city to the ground.  In 1961 with the closing of many Cape Breton Island coal mines, the federal government funded the largest historical reconstruction in Canadian

    history as a way to generate employment.  It was a very interesting visit and the reconstruction was beautifully done.  We also reached the most eastern point of our journey.

    On Monday we had our first fall freezing night but it was quickly forgotten 😊 (we get used to the low temperatures).  We had again an amazing day; first we drove to Inverness, afterwards we had a whisky tasting at the Glenora distillery and we ended the day with a magnificent sunset.  It got even better; we were invited by a Nova Scotian family, who had their annual reunion, to join their campfire and drink some wine. 

    After another freezing night, we headed into the direction of Fundy National Park, back in New Brunswick.  On our way, we stopped at the Rocks Provincial Park which is popular due to the world’s highest tides, the irregularly eroded sandstone cliffs and the wide beach at low tide.  We were lucky to see the high tide and able to walk on the ocean floor during the low tide.

    Our night at the Fundy National Park was a very wet night.  It started raining at 9pm and didn’t stop until… so we ended in Sint George in a motel to dry out our stuff and to sit out the predicted thunderstorms of tonight. PS David’s boots are still not waterproof despite the silicon 😊 








































    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Please reload


    I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

    Please reload

    September 18, 2019

    October 27, 2018

    October 14, 2018

    October 10, 2018

    October 1, 2018

    September 26, 2018

    September 21, 2018

    September 15, 2018

    September 11, 2018

    Please reload

    This site was designed with the
    website builder. Create your website today.
    Start Now